Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Good baby products

Yesterday evening poor Wesley started getting diarrhea and it just wouldn't stop. Luckily it wasn't explosive diarrhea, it just filled up his diaper every 30 minutes or so. After about the fifth diaper change in 2 hours he got a pretty bad diaper rash, his first ever. Poor little guy would just scream when I had to wipe his little tush. I stopped using baby wipes since they are notorious for having alcohol in them (even when they state they don't contain alcohol). So this morning my friend Jessica suggested using baby powder so I dug out a sample of Burt's Bee's Baby Dusting Powder I received from his aunt Becca (thanks Becca!). It has helped out his little bum so much in just the 3 or 4 hours I've been using it. The redness is almost gone and no more tears when changing the diaper. It has prompted me to talk about the other baby product that I use and love.

When Wesley was just a tiny little guy he started having some skin problems. I was using the standard shampoo and body wash by Johnson's and he wasn't reacting to it well. After his baths his eczema and infant acne would be more red irritated than before his bath. I did research online and found out that Johnson's Baby wash was notorious for being not gentle and containing as many harsh chemicals as adult shampoo. Some "no tears" formulas actually can contain numbing agents. So after a lot of research I ran across the California Baby line of Super Sensitive baby products. Oh how we love their products, Wesley's skin cleared up and has been that way ever since. They contain no fragrance, scent masking agents, clear formula chemicals, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, or DEA. Their products can be a bit pricey but they last forever. I buy their Super Sensitive shampoo and body wash for $9.95 for a 8 oz. bottle and I just used up the first bottle yesterday and he'll be eleven months old tomorrow. So yea it lasts quite some time. I am trying out their no chemical sunblock on Wesley as well as Sean and I and so far it works great. I buy this stuff off of Amazon but I know Target has started carrying it as well as some specialty stores such as our organic supermarket.

No comments: