Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Crib Dilemma

I've been going back and forth on this dilemma for several weeks now. I'd really like Wesley to be out of his crib and into either a toddler bed or a twin size bed before the new baby comes in September. For one, it would be really nice to use his crib with the new baby. Yet I am fearful of changing his whole routine before such a huge change happens to our family. The kid is a wonderful sleeper. He sleeps 12 hours during the night and takes a three hour nap in the afternoon. I don't want to ruin that.

The research I've done about transitioning a toddler out of the crib says to do it between 18 months and 3.5 years. They say it usually comes about once the child starts climbing out of the crib on a routine basis. Now Wesley has never climbed out of his crib nor has he ever even tried. He sits and plays in his crib with his oodles of toys for half an hour in the morning if I'm still running around feeding all the animals. If he was in a toddler bed he would just appear out of his room and I'd have to take him with me outside to do my morning feedings of livestock. It would be a lot of work.

So option two is to get another crib for the new baby and just let Wesley stay in his crib and cross that bridge when we get to it. I believe we're going to go with option two. I'm not going to push the kid out of his comfort zone anytime soon. My friend Jessica has graciously agreed to loan me her extra white crib which is one less thing I'll need to purchase. Thanks Jessica! Then last week I made my first big purchase for the new little Skittle"ette". I ran across this crib set online and just fell in love with it. We have a sage green bedroom upstairs that this will look darling in (that is when the crib moves up there from our bedroom).



I'm excited for it to get here so I can start making drapes and decorations. Fun stuff! Does this mean I'm already nesting?!

1 comment:

Stacy said...

Love the crib set!! Agree to go with the second crib and not alter Wesley's routine too much. That being said, September is a ways away and you never know what could happen. They change so much every month. We graduated from childbirth class tonight - exhausting tour of the family birth center. Just counting the days now...