Sunday, July 27, 2008

Memories of the 4-H fair

Wesley went to the fair today. Our little county fair was this weekend so Jessica, Alex, Abby, Wesley and I piled into Jessica's minivan and off we went. It's not a very big fair, quite a bit smaller than it was 13 years ago when I used to enter all sorts of things. Back in middle school and maybe the beginning of high school (I can't remember) I was in 4-H. I really enjoyed being in 4-H. I got to show my ducks, pigeons and rabbits, along with arts and crafts, food, rockets, entomology, all sorts of stuff. I was pretty much a geek (am a geek, pardon me). My parents wouldn't let me get any large animals, which in retrospect was a good thing. It was hard enough pawning off my ducks and other assorted poultry on my non-poultry loving mother once I went off to college. I can't imagine trying to leave a goat or horse. Yeah it was a good thing they said no.

Anyways, back to our outing today. Wesley is still not old enough to really absorb trips like todays. He mainly goes from sitting in the car seat to sitting in the stroller then back to the car seat. It was also 97 degrees so he was a little red sweaty cherub who just wanted to go home to the air conditioning....I don't blame him. It was fun to see all the animals and so forth. I look forward to the day when he's in 4-H....I'm a little afraid I won't be able to say no when he wants some animal. Hmmm...that could be a problem.

Of all the pictures I took of the fair today these two are my favorite. Here are the three kids in the van as we took off from my house (you can see Abby in the mirror). You can click on a picture to see a bigger version of it.



And here is the same picture taken 15 minutes later. All three asleep. Funny stuff.

No comments: