Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Planning

I've been running around preparing for Wesley's second birthday party this weekend. I can't believe the little guy is going to be two. When did that happen? For the past month I've been preparing him for his "Wild Wild West" party. I'm sure he has no idea what this means but he sure does get animated when we talk about it. I've told him he gets to wear a wild wild west hat and wild wild west boots and eat wild wild west cupcakes. He's also excited that Noni and Papa and Aunt Betsy and Uncle Blake will be there too. He talks about Betsy (my sister) and Blake a lot since they went with us to the Aquarium a few weeks ago. It's neat that he remembers events and people and will talk about them.

I do think having some kind of party once a year where people actually come into your house is a good thing. It makes me clean in ways that I normally wouldn't. For instance, I'm fairly tall but I can't see on top of the refrigerator so that layer of dust accumulates and goes unnoticed. Or ceiling fan blades that have a rim of dog and cat fur along with bird dander and other unmentionables plastered on it. And let's not forget oiling the kitchen cabinets. It's things like that, that are getting cleaned. It sure is nice having a clean house at least once a year. It's hard to tell if it's just the normal cleaning instinct or the nesting instinct kicking in. I've also been washing anything fabric in the house. Rugs, drapes, bassinet covers....it's all squeaky clean. I don't know what I'm going to do with myself once this weekend is over, every large project we've planned will be done. Maybe at that point it's called rest and relaxation although lately that's a phrase that's unknown to us.

4 comments:

Hoofprints said...

Oiling the kitchen cabinets??? What on earth are you talking about? Is there some unspoken cabinet etiquette that I'm not aware of?

The Menagerie Momma said...

Wood cabinets can get dried out and need some walnut oil or some other sort of oil wiped on them periodically. It keeps them in nice shiny condition. Or so I'm told.

Hoofprints said...

LOL...I thought you were talking about the hinges! Like...for squeakiness or something. lol

Stacy said...

I'm also not sure anyone would notice dust on top of your fridge! But kudos on the big clean!