Sunday, July 19, 2009

Insecurities

I'm not sure if it is a phase or if my kid is too sheltered but he's grown scared of many things lately. I'm always afraid that these insecurities stem from him not being exposed to lots of things since we tend to stick around home. This morning we go outside to play, like we do every day, and I turn on the sprinkler to water the baby grass. Wesley became terrified and ran to the farthest corner of the property. He stood there for five minutes while I tried to coax him back.



I eventually had to take him around the front of the house to bring him inside since he wouldn't go near the sprinkler. This isn't the first time I've turned on the sprinkler. In fact it's a weekly occurrence and he's just now become terrified. Strange. This isn't the only thing. This past week he's grown terrified of the steam that comes when I cook dinner. The other night I made some pasta and the steam rising from the pot made him run and hide behind the curtains. He then cried uncontrollably for ten minutes. I'm just dumbfounded. It has to be this age. I have no explanation for it. Poor little guy.

2 comments:

Granny Randi said...

Mandy, he will grow out of it. The boys had some strange fears, but they are fine now!

The Menagerie Momma said...

Thanks Randi, that's good to know. I hope he grows out of it soon.....as pasta is a regular around here. :)