Thursday, July 2, 2009

Fourth of July Weekend

I love this time of the year. Sean has four days off of work for the Fourth of July weekend and we intent to utilize them to their fullest. Today we went to a big BBQ that his boss hosted. I got to meet most of his co workers for the first time. What a genuinely nice group of people. His boss lives in the middle of town yet the neighborhood is situated around a good sized lake. So each house has access to this lake with boat docks and sand beaches. It was quite fancy and made for a nice party location. Wesley had a blast playing with the other kids and soaking up the attention from the other adults. He promptly came home and slept for four hours. He was so worn out, poor kid.

We have so many projects planned for this long weekend and hope to accomplish most all of them. I am still painting the house at every available interval. Sometimes I think it will never end. It is looking nice and is totally worth the hard work and sweat (so much sweat). Sean is down to four piles of walnut limbs to chip out in the grove. He hopes to actually finish it tomorrow. Poor Sean is so fed up with chipping limbs, I don't blame him. His back has been hurting him off and on for the last month, hauling the bags of mulch to the mulch pile is taking its toll. He figures he has at least 25-30 hours in this job so far. He's sure saving us some money considering the quotes we got from tree companies were running $150/hr to come chip the piles.

We don't plan to do much for the 4th of July. Maybe sit in the back yard in our lawn chairs with a drink and watch the neighbors shoot off fireworks. We've never been into fireworks as I can't physically bring myself to spend our hard earned money on something you literally set fire to. Maybe when the kids are older we'll get a few things but for now we'll settle for a free show in the backyard.

One thing that I feel good about accomplishing is finally giving Wesley a proper haircut. He used to let me buzz his hair with the same clippers that I buzz Sean's hair with. I started doing this when the kid was barely 8 months old. We had no problems until he turned 1.5 years old. Then the clippers became the Spawn of Satan Clippers and I couldn't bring them within twenty feet of the kid without him screaming and running in fear. So I had to resort to cutting his hair with regular scissors. Needless to say I am not skilled in the art of cutting hair and the kid has been walking around with choppy, uneven locks for quite some time. Lately the back of his head has started sprouting what would be known as a mullet, so I figured the time had come to force the clippers on him regardless of his reaction. All last week I started prepping him, telling him he was going to get a big boy haircut with the clippers. Then on Tuesday night we were out playing in his sandbox and he said "Wesley get haircut?" and I said "Yes let's go get a haircut". So I strapped him into his booster seat and plunked him down in front of Elmo and he got his first big boy haircut in at least seven months.

1 comment:

Little Man's blog said...

what do u want us to get him 4 his birthday?