Thursday, July 30, 2009

Efficient? I think not.

For the past couple of months we've been trying to adhere to a pretty strict budget in preparation of me not working when the baby comes. One of the items on the budget is to do all of the grocery shopping for a two week span at one time. I write up a meal plan with 14 breakfasts, lunches and dinners and off I go. It's good in the sense that I don't call up Sean at work at 5pm and say "we've got nothing for dinner can you pick something up on your way home?". My plan is to cut eating out almost completely as it is expensive and nutritionally not so great. So far it's been going well, I don't have to wonder what to make for dinner every night and I don't have to make the almost nightly trips into the local supermarket for one or two items. On the down side, I have to bring Wesley with me on my big shopping extravaganzas. The child gets a gleam in his eye when he knows it's shopping day. I've found it's his life goal to make these shopping trips living hell for me. Everything in the cart has to be piled along the back....well out of reach of Hell Boy here. God forbid a loaf of bread tumbles within grabbing distance. It immediately becomes smooshed unless I intervene. I have to shove everything breakable or smooshable under the cart, even meat goes there. We've gotten it down to a fine art and are improving as the time goes by. I've also decided that a bag of cookies goes a long way to make a toddler happy in the grocery store.

The other down side to doing a mass two week shopping spree is that the day or two before you shop, your fridge looks like this:



It's pretty much completely empty. Sean says that we're just efficient. I say there is a giant red headed whale floating around the house eating everything in sight. I'm pretty sure I'm correct.

2 comments:

Little Man's blog said...

he he he he he he. Red headed whale...that's funny.

Stacy said...

That is too funny. I do meal planning like this too - only I haven't eliminated the eating out! Sometimes even if I have painstakingly defrosted some organic chicken breasts, Nate will say "sushi?" and we'll all jump in the car. Oh well, at least we try to plan! Sorry I missed all the fun in Kansas.