Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Woolaroc

I promise this is the last post about the trip. I just had too many good pictures to wind all of this into one post. We drove to Bartlesville Oklahoma Saturday evening and stayed in a beautiful hotel that had only been open for five months. I felt like I was the first person to stay in our room, it was quite nice. Wesley actually slept that night from 10 pm until 9 the next morning. Poor kid was bushed from the previous days activities. He really enjoyed staying in the hotels. He thought running around and opening drawers was the bomb.



Sunday morning we headed outside of Bartlesville to see Woolaroc. Woolaroc consists of a museum and wildlife preserve. You drive through the wildlife preserve to get to the museum and other buildings. The museum consists of Native American artifacts and western art. It's a fascinating place if you are ever in northern Oklahoma. In the drive thru wildlife preserve there is a collection of native and exotic species of animals. I was hoping Wesley would find the animals of interest since I held out little hope for the museum. This is what he did as we drove looking at the animals.



I tried my hardest to get him to look out the window but he was more smitten with that book. Obviously two years old is too young for this sort of thing, especially when he's got a zoo at home. There were tons of buffalo, water bison and deer up by the road.



It was pretty neat. They had a nice little petting zoo with the most adorable baby donkey I've ever seen.



Next was the museum. Bringing a toddler into a Native American museum with all sorts of pottery and sculpture wasn't ranking real high on my fun meter but the heat drove us inside. The museum was very interesting and I wish I had more time to look around without all my attention being paid to the youingin. He did all right. Pretty much what to be expected out of a bored-out-of-his-mind toddler. He spent the entire time on the floor on his back pushing himself around with his feet.



It was somewhat embarrassing and I felt like standing 20 feet away and pretending he wasn't my kid. But he wasn't running around being destructive and he wasn't yelling so we let him be. You've gotta pick your battles sometimes and this wasn't worth making a scene over. He didn't "find his voice" until we were leaving and then he discovered the wonderful acoustics of a museum. The security guard was eying us pretty good as we were leaving. Note to self, toddlers + museums = not fun.

My Dad being a goof with Wesley (love this picture)



Woolaroc Museum



Sean taking Wesley up to the lookout tower



Cute kid on a bench



The gang cooling down in the shade

1 comment:

Hoofprints said...

that is such a great picture of you all. How fun...I think my chances of visiting woolaroc again are pretty good seeing as how my inlaws live in bartlesville.