Thursday, April 3, 2008

Staying at home

The other day I was at the eye doctors for my yearly exam and the doctor asked me what my profession was. My reply was "oh just a stay at home mom right now." It sounded like I was almost ashamed of it. I left the office mad at myself for feeling like that. In our society it is almost looked down upon to not be in the work force making money. It just caught me off guard because it was the first time I've said that that I was a stay at home mom rather than self-employed or artist. The doctor said "don't kid yourself, that's a tough job." He is so right. It is a long, exhausting job that has no breaks or lunch hour....and no bonuses. The lack of a paycheck has been the biggest hurdle, but I've been able to get a fair amount of sculpting done after he goes to bed, so I hope to making a few bucks a month again. I have grown to love being a stay at home mom. It was rough in the beginning. I won't lie, there was a point that I wish I had a job to return to. I do love being home with this little guy that keeps me on my toes all day long. I do know that being home with him I'll never miss a "first." I'll never have to hand him over to a stranger and hear "mama mama" as I leave. I get to be his full time teacher. It works for our family. We do get bored though. I am constantly trying to find fun new things to do. Today I put a rope through an old Huggies box and dragged him around the house in it. Oh what great fun that is!

No comments: