Friday, February 12, 2010

Skinny Dog

If there was any possible way to toss a large piece of furniture into the washing machine I would be doing it right now. This morning I walked into the living room and was greeted, as usual, by the thumping of Cody's large tail. He's all spread out on the couch where he sleeps every night. I went over and rubbed his head and noticed small white specks on the base of his tail. Upon further examination I find that there are three small white worms near his rear end. Can I just say BARF!? I got a ziplock bag and put the little worms in the bag and put Cody outside. Quickly.

Let me mention that a month ago I took Cody, the black lab, into the vet clinic because I thought he was skinny. He was pretty skinny when we I found him as a stray back in July. I just thought he was young and possibly neglected in his former home. So now, after seven months, he's still skinny. You can feel his backbone and some ribs. I feed him nearly twice the amount of dog food that Sophie gets and he gets all sorts of tid bits in the evenings once he comes inside....yet still skinny and always starving. Anyways, I took him into the vet in January and they said he was in prime shape and that this is "what a lab should look like. All the labs you see anymore are morbidly obese." They said I could bring in a fecal sample and they could check for worms if I was still concerned. Obviously unconcerned, I took him home.

So fast forward to today. Guess the dog has tapeworms. Great. After $47 for two little pills, he'll be worm free soon. In the meantime, how do I wash a couch?

3 comments:

Sasha Victoria said...

$47? It only cost us $24 for Teva and Oreo!

The Menagerie Momma said...

They didn't have any of the pills for the large dogs, so he got two medium dog drontal pills. He also got a follow up treatment for two weeks from now to ensure there are no tapeworms left in him. Dogs are expensive! We just got all three their shots and heartworm preventative for a whopping $176. Uggg.

Hoofprints said...

hmmm...you could always throw it in the back of your truck and take a spin through an auto car wash. :-)