Sunday, February 7, 2010

Funday Sunday

Wesley has never been a "cold cereal" kind of kid. I've tried all sorts of different boxed cereals for breakfast but he never shows any interest. This is fine since they aren't exactly packed full of nutrition. I also figure since I'm home with the kid I can manage to make him a hot meal every morning. There lies the challenge. He quickly tires of the same meal every day (don't we all?). So I thought I'd share some of the breakfast meals he enjoys at this age (2.5 yrs).

Toddler Breakfast 101

Banana Bites:
This simple idea was plucked from one of the baby food recipe books I own.
  • 1 Banana
  • Boxed pancake mix (I use a whole wheat blend)
Just slice up the banana into coins. Mix up small bowl of pancake mix according to box directions. Pour a small amount of oil into a skillet and heat over medium heat. Dip the bananas into the batter and place into skillet and brown on each side.
These are the perfect little finger foods. The banana melts inside of the batter and they are delicious.


Strawberry Oatmeal:
Pretty self explanatory. Make a small pan of oatmeal (the real stuff, not from a box). While its still boiling add a few whole frozen strawberries. Pour into a bowl a smush up the strawberries with a fork. Add cinnamon and brown sugar.

My kid refused to eat oatmeal until Jessica suggested topping it with some sprinkles. Sure enough, once he tried it he decided he liked it. Now we don't need the sprinkles anymore.
The sprinkle idea works with almost anything, just to get them to try it....well maybe not meatloaf but who knows.


Chocolate Cereal:
Just make a serving of Malt-O-Meal (forget that toddler serving nonsense on the box, my kid can eat a normal serving, sometimes two) and squeeze in a little chocolate syrup (the light stuff is tasty). The kid eats this at least twice a week and is always the first thing requested when I ask him what wants (besides ice cream, of course).


Other Favorites:
  • Chocolate Chip Pancakes
  • Cheesy Scrambled eggs
  • Muffins (any and all)
Just thought I'd share in case anyone out there is looking for some alternatives to cold breakfast cereal for their youngins, I know I'm always looking for ideas.

No comments: