Thursday, May 14, 2009

Little boys and their toys

So I've mentioned here about the GeoTrax train set that my father purchased about a year ago. Wesley hasn't really gotten into them until about a week ago. Now all he wants to do is go downstairs and play "choo choo". He has figured out that each engine has it's own color coded controller and knows to go get the blue controller for a specific favored engine. We were downstairs playing for 3 hours on Tuesday. It's nice that this giant train set is finally age appropriate for him. And it's not just this train set, he's in total train mode now. If we are in town and he hears a train whistle he starts yelling "choo choo!" It's fascinating. I wonder if little boys just have a different gene that draws them to trains, cars and planes. I will test this out on the little Skittle"ette" and see if she is naturally drawn to princesses and ponies.

The train set is great except when Wesley gets it in his head that he needs to go down and play with it NOW, this very instant. If he doesn't get to go play with it he totally melts down. Screaming, crying, you name it. I feel the terrible two's are on the way in (I'm so lucky). He decided he wanted to go play with it right before lunch today and I told him "No, we have to eat lunch first". He went nuts. Started throwing his food, wailing, refused to eat anything for lunch. Have I mentioned what a fun stage this is? If it wasn't the train set it would be something else, I know this, so to make this all a little less painful I went downstairs and brought up a large section of the train track and a couple of trains. We now have this set up in the living room as to keep the tantrums to a minimum. I hope it works.

1 comment:

Stacy said...

Oh no! Not the Terrible Twos! I wonder if little boys really are wired different (I believe they are). We, however, are going to try to teach our Skittle-ette some football. It didn't work with Claire...