Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Personality Plus

Wesley is coming up on 23 months old and this age is proving to be quite an experience. I've talked about the approaching terrible two's in the past (here and here)but I haven't talked about the other side, the absolutely funny side. In his process to becoming his own little man he's developing quite a personality. I thought I'd share some of this.

1. Nearly two months after Easter, Wesley is still infatuated with his Easter basket. He fills it up throughout the day with random little knickknacks that he finds in the house. Lately these include his hairbrush, old toothbrush, random wash clothes (usually wet ones from bath time), rubber ducks and his toy cell phone. In fact he throws a fit at bed time if we don't bring the Easter basket in and put it in his crib with him.

2. He really enjoys playing in his crib at bed time and before nap time. We pile toys in there that he can't live without. Our daily routine consists of him standing in his crib dictating what other toys he needs to sleep with. In the end he has about a two foot by two foot square to sleep in. He likes to take his phone to bed. This is like a desk phone with a roladex and speed dial buttons. I've told him that he can call Noni and Papa by hitting the speed dial #1 (the one with the doggie on it) and that will let him talk to his grandparents anytime. After I leave the room I hear him on the baby monitor dial and "talk" to Noni and Papa about his day. It's a hoot.

3. In the mornings I get him dressed in his crib before I even take him out of it. It allows me to keep a naked kid contained and keeps me from having to get up and down off the floor (something that is getting more and more difficult as the months go by). I strip off his jammies and dirty diaper and he stands there naked telling me his "hiney itches". This happens every single day. He then proceeds to tell me his "itchy hiney needs lotion". So I go get his lotion and lotion up his rear end. This seems to take care of it until the next morning when his hiney itches. I'm wondering how long I'm going to have to do this.

4. He's been becoming a bit of an impatient little kid around meal times. Usually he starts to get whiny if he finishes his food and needs something else to eat. Sean and I have been trying to teach him the meaning of patience during these times when he gets himself all worked up. It's actually working. Now when he starts to get himself all worked up (like while I'm in the kitchen chopping up strawberries) he'll stop himself mid whine and say "PATIENCE". He states it very clearly like "PAT-ience" almost like it's two words, he even included two head bobs for good measure. It is freakin hilarious and proving to be an effective way of keeping him from loud dinner time outbursts.

No comments: