Thursday, November 20, 2008

Crazy hounds go to the vet

I spent the day running around tying up loose ends in preparation for our departure to New Mexico this Sunday. Every year I am amazed at what it takes to actually prepare for a vacation. Of course it's mostly animal related. Lining up people to take care of said animals, making sure there is enough food, installing de-icers in stock tanks, and today there were shots. The kennel that I take the dogs to require them to be up to date on shots so every year around this time I load up the crazy hounds and make my way into the vet clinic to hand over loads of cash. Today was no different.

Our dogs are crazy. The only one that was well trained died this year of bone cancer. Thus I am stuck with crazy untrained Humane Society dog #1 and crazy untrained Humane Society dog #2. You throw them both into a closed compartment such as a car and it generally spells disaster. Sophie, the retarded irish/golden mix has no manners. I mean NONE. And she's dumb as dirt (umm..did I mention irish setter?). She is 69 pounds of red terror and thinks she's a lap dog. The entire trip to the vet she tried to sit on my lap. When she would do this she would stand on my accelerator leg and would cause the car to jet forward until I could correct it. Needless to say there was a stream of profanities escaping my mouth. Chance, the little black terror sat in Wesley's empty car seat the whole trip. Wish I could have gotten a picture, it was actually cute.

We did make it there and back alive and they are now pumped up full of vaccinations and ready for their fun filled trip to the kennel on Sunday. There really is a reason we don't go on many vacations, it's crazy (but worth it!).

No comments: