Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Computer Savvy

Boy how different the generations can be. The first recollection I have of using a computer was an old Tandy (new at the time) that my father had set up near the kitchen. I was maybe 10 or 12 years old? My sister and I would fight over who got to play on it, eventually we had to use a timer and take turns. We acquired computer games to play on it and would spend hours entertaining ourselves (oh how I loved Kings Quest). Fast forward to today. My nearly three year old son can navigate around a computer with such accuracy that I'm no longer needed. I used to have to get the game running but now he just climbs on the computer and clicks his way to whatever game he wants. You see, he's found the wonders of PBSkids.org. This wonderful website is kid friendly and is full of educational interactive games for all ages (even 3 year olds). He's been doing this for about a month now and in the beginning he would ask me to get the game running and then I'd sit next to him and we'd play the game together. I'd click on the buttons that he told me to. Then about a week later he started wanting to move the mouse by himself, still needing help to click buttons and such. Then a week after that he was able to click buttons and click and drag objects. It was truly amazing to me to see such a little tiny guy pick up such accuracy so quickly. Growing up around technology, like our kids do, sure makes them savvy around it (and having Sean as your Dad doesn't hurt). :)

3 comments:

Barb said...

Great picture! The next Bill Gates, maybe? :-)

Granny Randi said...

I love that face...what a twinkle!

Hoofprints said...

I know exactly what you mean. I think all I hear all day is, "Can I play video games?" Ahh...the the obsession begins.