Sunday, June 6, 2010

Weekend

This is kind of an ADHD blog entry. A little of this, a little of that.
The chickens are getting big! I borrowed a cage from Jessica's Mom and put them outside all weekend during the day so they can get some fresh air and sunshine. I've decided their days in my house are limited. There is a fine layer of dust/dander that is forming on every surface, I find myself wiping down everything daily. They gotta go! I don't think chickens are meant to live in the house much past the cute, adorable fluffy chick stage. These gals are outta that stage!



So with that being said, Sean worked all weekend on the chicken house (bless him) and it's coming along wonderfully. He's doing a smashing job on it and it's exactly what I was hoping for. These gals will be living in style. The framing was done last weekend and this weekend he got the siding up. Next weekend is the door construction and adding the window screen and a thick coat of paint over everything. We kid that the first egg is now going to cost us around $350. :)



The garden is doing really well. I'm surprised and pleased. I feel drawn to it when I'm outside. I tend to walk back there and look at it several times a day. I'm usually wearing Greta and she and I pick a few weeds every time we visit. Things I don't really know: how will I know when carrots are ready to eat? Why do some of the corn stalks fall over? What am I going to do with all the squash??! I found some already started cantaloupe, water melon and acorn squash plants at Wally World so I added them this weekend so fill in some empty spots. I'm really having fun with the garden and am sad I didn't start one before this year.

No comments: