Sunday, June 13, 2010

Firsts

This weekend was a weekend of firsts. We discovered that Miss Greta has her first tooth coming in. The spoon scraped something during dinner and sure enough she has a little tiny tooth popping through. Yeah Greta! She's going to need that tooth now that she's started feeding herself. I just spread little things like Cheerios and diced banana on her high chair tray and she goes to town getting it all in her mouth. It's made mealtimes much more enjoyable since I can now feed myself instead of the baby.

Another first: we have vegetables in the garden ready to eat! We were outside poking around the garden when I looked at the massive zucchini plants only to discover some ready to pluck. It was silly how excited I was to see them there. I gave them to Wesley to bring inside and he immediately asked if he could eat them. I told him we'd eat them for dinner. And eat them we did, I drizzled them with olive oil and salt and pepper and sauteed them up. They were so good. There were so many little tiny ones out there that I'm going to be swimming in zucchini. It's going to be a zucchini bread summer! Mmmmm.....zucchini bread.....drool.



The garden is getting big!



So is the little boy in the garden!



Wesley loves going through my box of seeds out in the shop. They are just left overs from the garden so I don't mind if he plays with them. He asked if he could plant them so I took a tray and filled it with compost and dirt and made little rows for him. He took the seeds and did the rest with a little instruction from me. That was a week ago and now he's got this cool little garden that he waters every day. Sometimes throughout the day I'll look over at him and he'll be crouched down in front of it just looking at it. He seems fascinated with growing things, that makes me happy. He planted sunflowers, beans, okra and cilantro. We'll transplant it all out of his tray soon.


1 comment:

Stacy said...

so cool! I wish I'd had the foresight to try this with Claire this year. Well, maybe next year...