Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day Weekend

I hope everyone had a nice and relaxing Memorial Day weekend. I'd like to say we had a relaxing one but we were super busy working on projects as usual. Sean started working on the chicken house and got it almost all framed in. It's a 5 foot by 8 foot building that will be set on caster wheels so that it can roll. The wheels will allow me to push it outside once or twice a year to give it a thorough cleaning and disinfecting. It will be placed inside of our metal shop with a small, chicken sized opening going outside into the chicken run. This way I can shut their little door and lock them in their house every night, there will be no predators killing these chickens.



I'm especially excited about the nesting boxes. They are mounted on the outside and will have a hinged lid that I can lift to collect eggs, thus allowing me to not have to step foot in the hen house. Everything I've read says to allow one nesting box per 3-5 hens....so three is actually overkill for eight chickens. Have I mentioned how super awesome my husband is for building all of my hair brained ideas? Well he is. We hope to get the siding up on it next weekend along with the door and window.



Anymore, where ever Sean is you'll find Wesley. He follows his Dad around in the shop doing whatever he does. His little shadow. He helped work on the chicken house by drawing all over it with a pen. It will be sad painting over all of his artwork. :)



It was a beautiful weekend with oodles of sunshine so we played outside and I let Greta relax on the quilt. I just love that little face.





Oh and I can't forget the other little face I adore. He still won't let me photograph him much. I have to be sneaky with the camera with this little boy.



Greta discovered the joys of grass and dirt. This little lady wasn't afraid to get dirt under her fingernails....and in her hair and in her chubby thighs.

No comments: