Monday, May 17, 2010

Growing like Weeds

Ever wonder how my husband stays in shape? Now you know.





I'd say he does this every evening when we go outside to play after dinner (well maybe not the falling over part). How he does this with a full meal in his stomach? I haven't a clue. Wesley loves loves loves it. I've tried it a few times and just don't have the stamina for it. After his ride this evening he offered to give Daddy a ride. Didn't work so well.



What do I do when we're outside? I haul Greta around in the front pack. I feel about as useful as I did last summer when I was pregnant with her. I can't play with Wesley much. All I seem to do is follow him around with the baby in the carrier. I feel bad about this, I wish I could get down and play with him like we used to. I suppose it will be only too soon before Greta is running around with him. I look forward to that day. For now I'm the pack mule.



It rained the whole weekend which was sort of a nice change of pace. It allowed us to relax and not feel guilty about accomplishing very little. The rain made everything grow about four inches outside, including the baby vegetable plants....and the weeds in the garden.



You wouldn't even know I hoed up the weeds last weekend. *sigh* I suppose my next big job is to haul the old hay bales out there and mulch the heck out of the garden. Not really looking forward to that ordeal. Everything is growing well, the broccoli already has pretty big heads on them. Out of everything that is growing I think we are most excited about fresh, tasty, sweet corn. I figured up that I have about 90 (!) corn plants growing right now (is that a lot, is that a little...I don't know as this is my first attempt at gardening). I tried to pick an early variety and a late season variety but I'm afraid I'm going to have them all ripen up in the same week and we'll be swimming in ears of corn. We shall see. Hope everyone had a nice weekend.

1 comment:

Stacy said...

Wow - your plot is HUGE! I finally gave up on veggies - but I could not resist planting some more corn. I think I planted about 12 plants. What the raccoons don't eat will be yummy.