Friday, March 20, 2009

Second trimester here I come!

I am officially one third of the way through this pregnancy. Yahoo! I am so happy to report that last week, seemingly overnight, the morning sickness disappeared. After reading up on this it makes more sense. I guess around the 12th week your placenta takes over making the pregnancy hormones instead of your body. Which in turn pretty much removes that wonderful feeling of being sick. It is simply wonderful to not be curled up on the couch every evening feeling like I got run over by a tank. Simply wonderful. I actually have my energy somewhat back and poor Wesley doesn't look so concerned for me anymore. The kid really picks up on my feelings, he's a sensitive little guy.

This second pregnancy is already quite a bit different than the first. For one thing, the above mentioned sickness was 500 times more awful than with the first. Second thing is I already feel huge! I think I'm about the size now that I was at about 20 weeks with Wesley. It's strange to look down and already see a belly there and only be 13 weeks. I'm already in some of my smaller maternity tops. It makes me scared as to how large I'm going to get.

During the first go round I had some big problems with swelling. My feet and ankles were huge! So I've done my research and I'm bound and determined not to swell too much this time round. For one I'm going to make sure I drink plenty of water. I should be drinking 64-80 oz of water a day. 64 oz is equal to 2 quarts. So I fill up a two quart pitcher every morning and make sure I drink it all by the end of the way. This is a huge amount of water (I think). I have to drink a tall glass full every two hours to accomplish my goal every day. I'm finding it tough. The other thing to help swelling I've found online is to keep your potassium levels high. So I plan to eat a banana every day, which isn't too tough to do.

Overall it's been smooth sailing and I'm looking forward now to the second trimester.

1 comment:

Stacy said...

I had my first leg cramp last night! It was so bad I had to jump out of bed (no small feat) and stretch my calf out onto the floor to get it to release. My mom suggested potassium, too. I'll have to pick some up this weekend. I'm getting really huge - but I love it. ;-) Glad you are feeling better.