Monday, March 30, 2009

Iced out

We had an interesting weekend. The storm that I mentioned in the last post became more of a nightmare than we ever imagined. Friday it sleeted and rained most of the day and put a nice coat of ice over everything. Including the power lines. So Friday night at 10 pm we lost our electricity. We assumed it would come back up at some point soon so we went to bed. Woke up Saturday to still no electricity and the house was down to 64 degrees which was still somewhat tolerable. Now at this point the sleet had stopped and it was snowing heavily. My wonderful parents live 5 miles away and offered to come get us with the four wheel drive (thanks guys!). We agreed and went over to their house with our overnight bags not knowing when or if our electricity would ever come back.

The last time something like this happened was three years ago and it was out for four day then. What's funny is we swore we would invest in a generator before this happened again. Uggg. Anyways, we packed up a dog and the tortoise and stayed with my folks Saturday night. We all were appreciative that we didn't have to sleep in a cold house. Sunday we went home to feed the horses and the house was down to 55 degrees. It actually wasn't as bad as we imagined seeing as the low Sat night was 19 degrees. My poor fish in my fish tank looked downright pitiful when we got home Sunday. Poor things were swimming upside down and sideways. I thought they were goners. I got a bucket and netted them into it and brought them back over to my folks house to thaw. Luckily they all made it once they warmed up. So at this point there was a dog, a tortoise and a bucket of fish at my parents house. The cat, cockatiels and big dog Sophie all had the ability to withstand colder temperatures in the house.

We had fun at my folks house. My sister and her husband came down for the weekend. We learned they are expecting their first child in November. We are ultra excited for them and excited for Wesley to have another cousin. Our babies are only going to be 6 weeks apart. Congrats guys!

Noni and a scowling Wesley


Papa and Wesley putting coins into some train thing.



Our electricity came back on Sunday evening. It's nice to be home with the lights and heat on. I got the fun task of throwing out the entire thawed contents of the fridge and freezer. It took me three large black trash bags and now the fridge is completely empty. Guess I get to go spend a small fortune and fill it back up again. Yea!

I'm glad that weekend is over. We ended up getting seven inches of snow and a ton of ice. Of course it is 60 degrees out now and the snow is all gone. We are now doing some serious research into generators. I guarantee we will have one before next fall. I will not be stuck with a toddler and newborn and no electricity, that scares me. Hope everyone had a nice weekend! Here are some ice pictures.





1 comment:

Stacy said...

I guess we can't complain about "snow in April" when you actually had to leave your house. Besides, today it's 69 and GORGEOUS! I'm sitting here in a sun dress and thongs. Yay!