Saturday, March 7, 2009

It starts

I'm so excited. Garage sale season is starting and I am like a kid in a candy store. I love finding kids toys for a fraction of their price new, it's so fulfilling. Sean is not so excited to fill our already full house even more full of other people's crap. Oh well, it will all get sold or given away once it is out grown.

Anyways, today I went to a church rummage sale and found many treasures. The biggest find was this:



As I've mentioned before, my child is a Sesame Street crazed kid who loves anything Sesame Street. These Elmo chairs are like $40 new and I doubt I would have spent that on something so hideous. BUT for a small donation I brought it home expecting my almost 20 month old to go nuts. Yep, not so much. Wesley has started being scared of certain toys. Mainly talking or jiggling toys so I didn't expect this homecoming. So I put it in the living room and assumed he would eventually warm up to it. He gave it a wide berth all day, never coming closer than 15 feet of it. He would point at it and say "Elmo chair" but that's about it.

Then this evening he took Hubby's hand and pulled him over to it and said "Daddy sit" and pointed to it. Of course Sean sat in it and showed him it would not, indeed, gobble him up.



Hubby read quite a few books while smashing sitting in the Elmo chair. Then just a little bit ago I came in from feeding the horses to find this new development.



He finally got over his fear and now sits in it without any problems. We are finding he is a very sensitive child. He really doesn't like being lifted in the air over Sean's head. He's somewhat fearful of new things, likes routines and comforting objects. I suppose he is very much like his parents in this aspect. I just hope he grows to not fear new things when he's older. I don't really know, as a parent, how to accomplish this other than just show him as many new and exciting things as possible. For now we are just excited he's sitting in his Elmo chair.

No comments: