Friday, November 13, 2009

Working from home

Being a self employed, work from home Mom affords me certain luxuries. I set me own pace, I can watch my kids while still earning my family some money, and if I need to stop working I can stop. When Wesley was born I wasn't sure how I would handle the not working aspect. I didn't want the cash flow to stop and I didn't want to loose my loyal customers. So before he was born I worked my hiney off and made a stock pile of sculptures to sell during my self inflicted maternity leave. They lasted long enough for me to get back on my feet and resume sculpting. There is still some old paint on the Boppy pillow from when I was painting sculptures while nursing Wesley. I felt good about keeping a regular flow of cash coming into the house during my leave.

This time round I didn't even try. This time round I emailed some of my more loyal customers and explained why I wouldn't be selling for the immediate future. They, of course, understood. So here I am, almost 8 weeks postpartum and I see no possible way of sculpting ever again. Well that might be a bit dramatic, I hope to sculpt again some day but not any time soon. When there was just Wesley I would sculpt during his nap time and then once he went to bed. I could get 4-5 good hours of sculpting in a day if I so desired. With two kids whose naps never coincide I just don't have a clue as to how to start up again.

To make things worse, Christmas is my busiest time of the year. I have customers calling and emailing me trying to get sculptures done and I have a hard time telling them no. I'm exhausted as it is and just can't make myself stay up at night, once Great is asleep, to complete Christmas orders. It saddens me to turn away money but that's what I signed up for when we decided to add another child to the family. I just wish I had two more sets of hands!

1 comment:

Tina said...

It will get easier!! You can get them napping at the same time when the baby gets a more predictable schedule!! Congratulations, by the way-she is adorable and Wesley is too!