Friday, February 20, 2009

More to worry about

Last weekend we had the pleasure of having lunch with some friends that came to town. Dru and Charity have two little girls, one of which is three days older than Wesley. It was really interesting seeing how developmentally equal they were. How each one was really into books and scribbling with the crayons the restaurant provided. They seemed fascinated looking at each other like "who is this little person that keeps looking at me?".

I had brought some portable snacks for Wesley to eat since I wasn't sure how quickly our food would be served. One of the foods was a fruit cup. We, more often than not, eat fresh fruit or frozen fruit....but on occasion I will break out the portable cups of fruit when we are traveling or otherwise away from home. Charity mentioned that she read an article about the harmful nature of certain plastics. Basically, some plastics that are used for food storage can leach a dangerous chemical known as BPA (Bisphenol A) into the food it is containing. Back when Wesley was still on the bottle I had read up on all of this, this was nothing new but it had been almost a year since I had learned about it. Charity brought up that she doesn't buy the fruit cups because they use the BPA plastic. You can tell this from the recycle code on the bottom of the container. Recycle codes 3, 6 & 7 are dangerous and should be avoided. I'm glad she reminded me of this, we are now back to the basics. We are severely limiting foods from plastic cups and other plastic containers, especially those with 3,6 & 7 on their bottoms.

We were a fairly regular buyer of applesauce in the little cups. This due mainly to time constraints since I do enjoy making my own applesauce. But who has the time? SO today while at the grocery store I was gazing over the organic produce isle and hit the jackpot. They had big bags of organic apples, ten apples to a bag, marked down to $1.25 a bag. They were a bit bruised but perfect for applesauce. So at this precise moment I have a huge pot of apples boiling down to make applesauce. The house smells so good. Yum.
It will be nice to not have to worry about my toddler eating his food laced with questionable chemicals. Scary stuff I tell ya. Thanks for reminding me Charity!

No comments: