Monday, December 28, 2009

Natural Selection

Six years ago about this time of the year, I would find myself standing at the picture window at our previous house gazing intently out of the window. You see we used to live in a subdivision outside of town and behind our house was a small man-made pond. Every year it would freeze over and the kids of the neighborhood would go play on it. This particular memory is of three boys all around 12 years of age out in the middle of the pond jumping up and down as hard as they could. I stood at the window watching them and wondering if today was the day someone would fall through the ice. There would always be a warm enough day where it would be downright dangerous to be out on that ice. I remember that day hearing the loud crack of ice and going out and yelling at those boys to get off the ice because it wasn't safe. I always wondered where these kids parents where and how they couldn't have taught them that this behavior wasn't acceptable.

Fast forward to yesterday. We moved out of that subdivision and out into the country. Of course we still have a pond out behind our house. It is owned by the man who owns the twenty acres behind us. I'm standing at the changing table and look out the window to see this man driving his four wheeler around the iced over pond. He's sliding it this way and that way, making it glide over the ice. I found myself just standing there with my jaw hanging open. It was like watching a train wreck, you just couldn't look away for you knew at that precise moment was when he and his 600 pound four wheeler would go crashing through the ice. This wouldn't have been memorable to me other than the fact that it was 31 degrees out and the snow was melting off of the roof and dripping in front of the window as I watched him.

He made it without falling through the ice but I think we found out who the parents to those 12 year old boys back in the subdivision are.

No comments: