Saturday, December 19, 2009

Birthday Wishes and Balls of Cake

First and foremost lets all wish my good pal Jessica a Happy Birthday. I know it's not politically correct to mention how old she is so I'll just say she's older than 30 and younger than 32. He he he. Happy Birthday Dude! Thus brings us to the second part of this entry.
I feel I must share with you all a recipe that I keep running across. They are called Cake Balls. I don't feel that is an appropriate name so I shall call them "Balls of Cake That Will Destroy Any Chance I Might Have of Loosing the Remaining Baby Weight". But since that is too long of a name I will just call them Great Balls of Cake! I have run across this recipe three times now in about two weeks and finally decided to cave in and make them. Jessica's birthday became a great excuse. After all these little things are not something you want just lying around your house. Tis always better to unload high calorie high fat sweets on good friends. :)

Anyways, on to the recipe. First you go buy a regular cake mix. Any old cake mix, any flavor you desire. Also pick up a tub of frosting. Again, any flavor you'd like. Be creative! I'm using a double fudge cake and vanilla frosting.



Prepare the cake as directed on the box and allow to cool completely.



Next, take a big bowl and crumble the entire cake into it.



Take the tub of frosting and mix it all into the bowl of crumbled cake. Work it through until it's the consistency of paste.



Line a cookie sheet with wax paper (or foil if you're like me and ran out of wax paper). I used a cookie scoop to scoop out perfectly measured balls, you could also use a tablespoon and roll them into balls. Put the balls on the lined cookie sheet and pop them into the freezer for at least an hour.



The recipe I saw said to use Candy melts for this next part but since I need to make this milk free for Jessica's little boy I am using Bakers Semi-sweet baking chocolate squares (milk free). Just melt the chocolate in a double boiler or on low on the stove. Dip the frozen balls into the chocolate and place on a wax paper lined cookie sheet to cool. To add some flare, you can dip them in sprinkles before they cool.



When you are done you have little balls of heaven (boy that sounded wrong). You can package them up and distribute them for the Holidays or just plow into them. The possibilities are endless as to how many different ways you can make them little gems. I'm already thinking a strawberry cake with white icing dipped in white almond bark would be tasty....Mmmm. Enjoy!

5 comments:

Hoofprints said...

Thanks dude! Much appreciated birthday wish. And thanks for 'not' revealing my old fart age to the rest of the world. But I guess I deserve it after making you an old fart cake for the big three-O. I can't wait to eat some lard balls...I mean sugar balls...no wait, I mean cake balls. I can already feel my butt getting bigger. :-)

Stacy said...

I was on the computer this morning just to find an interesting recipe to take to the neighborhood cookie exchange. I think you just helped me out! Not sure I have all the ingredients (I try not to keep frosting around in easily-edible servings) but, hey, the Safeway is just around the corner. Yum!

Stacy said...

Update: I made these today. Two batches. One batch with chocolate & chocolate shell...and one batch with white/strawberry filling and white chocolate shell. I can only say they were a ton of effort - but worth it. Very tasty and now I've done all the holiday baking I want to do. Thanks for the idea!!

Anonymous said...

You can also make the balls with crushed up oreos and cream cheese. Then you can use coconut, peppermint pieces (for Christmas), malted milk ball pieces, or different sugars. We also melt dark chocolate or vanilla candy bark and put it in a squeeze bottle and then drizzle the top and call them Bob-bons. Yum.

The Menagerie Momma said...

Glad they worked out Stacy! I wish I could try the strawberry ones you made, they sound delicious. Have fun in New Mexico!