Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Expectations

Do you know what the difference between baby number one and baby number two is? With the first baby you anxiously await each month when they turn another month old. You know exactly how many weeks old they are at any moment, not needing to go to the calendar to look. You might might even count down to that one month birthday every month, looking forward to capturing a picture at each month milestone. Baby number two is lucky if you can remember how many months old they are (give or take a couple of months). Poor Greta turned three months old on Monday and I completely overlooked it. Usually we at least take a photo for her First Year frame but I even forgot that.

Poor kid.

I do find myself enjoying baby number two more than I did the first. I'm consistently in a good mood, which is amazing with the complete lack of sleep I'm getting. With the second baby I just have no expectations. No expectations to get a single thing done in the day. I find that if I just wake up and plan on playing with Wesley and feeding Greta all day I don't get disappointed when nothing gets done. Keep the expectations low I say. And when it comes down to it, this is my job. To keep two little people happy all day, go to sleep and do it again the next day. If dishes and laundry don't get done who cares. If I don't get any sculpting done oh well, we're getting by just fine without my income. I was pretty down in the dumps when Wesley was a wee baby because I aimed too high with what I thought I needed to achieve in a day. I remember painting sculptures while breastfeeding him (still have the paint spots on the boppy) and being miserable. It's nice to just breath, slow down and enjoy these babies while they are babies.

1 comment:

Myhouse4nine said...

Wow, you sound so calm and at one with your world! I am so glad that you are able to breathe and enjoy your children, you sound like you are doing well!