Friday, October 23, 2009

Survival mode

I have a new respect for parents with two (or more- gasp!) children. I had no idea what you folks had gone through. Two children are quite an experience. Before Greta was born I realized once she arrived that life as I knew it would end for at least several months or at the most a year. The thing is, with baby number two, you at least know that there is an end to the somewhat insane "baby blob" stage. You know, where they just eat, sleep and scream. Literally. I guess I thought since I've done it once, well, the second time would be a snap. Ha! I have to admit that the two kid thing is kicking our butts! Maybe I should clarify....the two year old and a newborn thing is kicking our butts.

Sean will occasionally ask me if I have any plans for the weekend and I just laugh. My plan for every day right now is to just survive. To wake up and take care of two small people. Get them fed, dressed, wipe their hineys and keep them entertained until Dad gets home at which time I can take a minor break (meaning toss a kid in his arms for the evening). That's it. I'm not saying I don't enjoy it, it's just what life is right now. I know it will change, things will get easier as they grow. I have to remind myself that the "in arms" time of a baby's life is so small and to enjoy every second of it because they don't fit in your arms very long. I know this because my two year old just recently climbed up into my arms and laid down in the same manor that my 4 week old does, it was shocking to see how big he is. I'll miss this chaos when it's gone but for now I'm just in survival mode.

No comments: