Friday, January 25, 2008

A visit to the Talking Head

Wesley had his six month well baby exam today. I can't stand his pediatrician, we'll call him Dr. TalkingHead. He earned this nickname after several different visits were I would leave the office more confused than I entered after asking him questions. The man likes to talk but doesn't seem to know what he's talking about, so he gives these vague answers that circumvent the question totally. It's maddening. So today I go in there with my normal list of questions (most of which I came home this evening and Googled on the internet) such as: 1. "I'm getting a cavity filled next week, is the local they give me for pain ok while I'm breastfeeding?" Ok, not a bad question....he gives me a strange look and says "Ummm wellll ask your dentist." Alrighty. 2. I ask "He's been getting patchy red spots on his cheeks one or two times a week in the evenings could it be a food reaction?" Dr. TalkingHead says "Ummmm welllll it could be food or weather related, pretty much anything." Strike two. 3. I ask "Do you recommend a specific lotion for his dry cheeks?" He says "Hmmmm pretty much anything but baby lotions." Way to be specific. The list goes on. Grrrrr. I would find another pediatrician but this is the only guy I could find that would work with me on a selective vaccination schedule.

So he then moves on to the physical exam. Gives Wesley a thorough looking over, gets to his wee willie and starts pulling the skin away from the tip of his willie. I mean pulling hard. Needless to say little man was NOT happy. I get home this evening and it's bleeding around the top, he was crying for the last hour and a half. I had to break out the Infant Tylenol for the first time to get him to calm down. I told Wesley to never let an old man touch his willie ever again. Words of wisdom to live by the rest of his life.

Six month stats:

Weight: 18 lbs 9 oz. (70%)
Height: 26.5 inches (50%)
Head: HUGE (90%) (I don't remember the number, the kids got a big noggin)

No comments: