Thursday, August 12, 2010

Favorite Time

I have a new favorite time of the day. Right after Greta goes down for her nap I get Wesley's shoes on and we head outside. This is our time together everyday and I look forward to it. Poor Wesley doesn't have much one on one time with me much these days since my time is divided among two children. So during her nap we go outside and find fun things to do together. Usually we get the hose going and he helps me fill up stock tanks and buckets with fresh cool water. We then visit the garden to collect anything needing collecting. The garden is pretty much toast now. With these temperatures I can't keep up with the watering (nor do I want to without having an astronomical water bill) so the garden has been left alone. The mulching has kept most of it alive even without regular waterings. I'm still getting big bowls full of tomatoes daily and a few bell peppers here and there but that's about it. Then we might get the sprinkler out and run through it to cool off. We also try and find as many bugs as we can. Wesley is really into bug collecting and he's fearless when it comes to picking them up. He has a bug box (a netted box that he keeps them in) that is pretty full of everything he's found this summer. We like to dump them all out and count them. This week we've been letting Dym, the goat, out while we are outside. She wanders around the back yard eating stuff here and there but always keeping an eye on us. If we disappear into the shop or out of her view she'll raise her head and start crying loudly for us until we reappear. She follows us around like a puppy. It's quite cute. She's sure fitting well into our family and seems to enjoy us as much as we enjoy her. What adventures will we find outside today?


Garden goat


My strawberry bed and pole beans are like a big goat buffet


Wherever Wesley is, the goat is.


His latest buggy finds. See, totally fearless.


Bug boy


I keep telling the boys that they could come out and play if they'd be half as nice as Dym. They don't listen to me.

1 comment:

Stacy said...

Bugs! Yuck!!!!!!! Ewwwwwwwww. Wesley is so brave! Claire is afraid of fruit flies!