I'm so happy to report that the chicken coop is finished. Whew. We started the inside chicken house over Memorial Day Weekend and put the last screw in the outside aviary today. It's been a long project to say the least. It looks awesome and the chickens are super happy in it. Saturday morning I got up early and headed out to the quarry to pick up some sand to put in the outside coop. Don't want my "laydies" to be in the mud you know. I told the guy at the quarry I needed some sand for a coop and he suggested some finely ground limestone instead. It's a lot cheaper per ton than sand and when it gets packed down and rained on it forms a nice packed ground covering. So I got a truck load and even got a nice helper to unload it for me when I got home.
Sean continued to put up the "clamp boards" on the outside. These boards will sandwich the chicken wire in so that nothing is able to get in. It also provides a stronger barrier against the horses (the coop is in the horse pen). The horses like to scratch their rumps against fences and I'm sure the coop will provide a nice scratching post, let's just hope it holds up.
Then we did the grand unveiling and let the chickens out. The flapped about and were fun to watch in their new home. I have to say it will be nice to mark this off the "to do" list, and even nicer to get my husband back on the weekends! Thanks hubby for a wonderful job, you outdid yourself.