Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Adventures in Gardening

The garden is really starting to crank out food. Yippie! Wesley and I go out once a day to see what we can find. I pick it and he eats it. Raw green beans, heads of broccoli, not nearly ripe tomatoes, he eats it all...usually standing there at the garden edge. I did manage to sneak some inside this afternoon.



I'm so excited to have sweet corn ready to eat. I think we'll be pretty sick and tired of it in a few weeks, but for now...yummy! I know the onions aren't ready yet either but I can't wait any longer, same with the carrots.

For Mother's Day, Sean built me my strawberry bed and I planted pole beans in the top part of it. I put in some eye hooks and string to make a trellis up to the bird feeder. The beans are finally winding their way up there and it's quite striking. I think I might scrap the strawberries all together (who actually gets many strawberries anyways) and make it a pole bean garden and flower bed.



I baked my first loaf of zucchini bread (with zucchini from the garden) this weekend, which my boys scarfed down in one day. I try to pick them when they are little and sweet but occasionally one will hide behind a big leaf and remain forgotten. It will then grow to be a giant, tasteless zucchini that's only use is for bread.



I've tried several different zucchini bread recipes and this one is a proven winner. I thought I'd share:

Best Zucchini Bread

2 Cups shredded zucchini
3 eggs
1 3/4 C. sugar
1 C. oil
2 C. flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon (I use pumpkin pie spice)
1 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla

Beat eggs, sugar, vanilla and oil. Add flour, powder, soda, cinnamon, salt and zucchini. Pour into two greased and floured bread pans.

Bake 1 hour at 350 degrees. Enjoy!


1 comment:

Stacy said...

Today it broke 90 for the first time all year - yay for sun! My corn is still about 2 feet high - and my strawberries are doing okay but haven't picked one yet. Very pleased for your bounty!