Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Greta's New Room

I'm happy to say that Greta slept her first night in her own room last night. It is sooo nice to have her out of our bedroom. I didn't realize how quiet I had to be in there until she moved out. It's so refreshing. She slept a lot better as well. She only woke up twice, the first one being at 4 am. Looks like we should have done this a long time ago. Oh well, live and learn.

We got Wesley's old room all cleaned out and vacuumed which turned out to be quite the feat. I didn't think he had so many toys until we started cleaning it out. Now I'm stuck deciding where to shift all this junk, inevitably it will all travel downstairs. The basement, to me, has become a graveyard of all the old toys....but to Wesley has become an awesome playroom. It's nice that he can go down there and play to his hearts content and then I don't have to clean it up nightly like I do the living room.

Anyways, back to Greta's room...we got her crib and the recliner (the essentials) moved in there late last night and that's as far as we got. The room needs some work. It reminds me of when I moved into my first apartment in college and I walked in to find scuffed paint and holes in the wall (it was kind of a dump, but that's college for ya). It was shocking how destroyed that room became in the two and a half years that Wesley lived in it. Toddlers, especially little boy toddlers, are hard on everything they touch. So here starts the renovation of Wesley's old room into Greta's new room. I'm going to repaint since the peachy color that is in there clashes rather horridly with anything pink. I was thinking about painting it a light yellow but then I ran across this picture and fell in love with the wall color.



Yea, I know it's pink. I am so not the kind of person to paint my little girls room pink but I'm going to. My Mother-in-law just threw up a little in her mouth. It's an antique rose color, has a little more peach to it than baby pink and I think it will be adorable. I'm going to have her white dresser in there and white crib and will put some rose panel drapes on the windows. It will be the cutest little girl room.

My sister told me about some wall decorations awhile back, they are wall decals of sayings that adhere to the wall. I'm sure you've seen them. I've been researching them for a few days now and found one that says "Thank Heavens for Little Girls". It so reminds me of my Grandmother and would love to put it above her crib yet I'm not sure I want to spend the money, they run $47 including shipping. Seems like a lot for a big sticker...call me cheap. SO, I started thinking "Hey I can do that!". Hello, I do have a degree in Illustration and Design. Pretty sure I can paint on a wall. Not sure I want to paint a bunch of lettering but it did open up a whole new world of ideas. I found this that I love:



That would be super easy to paint. Make it white against the antique rose wall color...love it! Can you tell I'm getting pumped to redo her room? Most people decorate before the baby arrives, I do it three months out. I'm also going to paint her initials cursively above her crib. Fun fun. Now I just have to magically find the time, that's the hard part.

3 comments:

Hoofprints said...

hey. Like you said...it's not pink. It's antique rose. Totally different colors.

Stacy said...

I finally gave into the pink. It's not all bad - it does keep you grounded in the fact that you have a little girl and what an amazing little creature she is. Go for it! I love the stencils/drawing on the wall. I wish I had your talent. I'd probably just fork over the $47 bucks.

Granny Randi said...

At least it's not baby pink...and yes, the vomit was forming! I did use "a little" pink in Berkley's room.I love the white painting on that green wall. Go for it,Mandy!