Sunday, January 10, 2010

Funday Sunday

My friend Jessica started this theme as a way of changing it up and offering a fun recipe on Sundays. I asked if I could join in and this is my first post. I'm going to offer easy, mostly nutritious recipes that my family loves and can usually be made while holding a baby. That might tell you how easy they are.

This recipe is for Chicken Tortilla Crock Pot Soup. It's a long name and it's super tasty. I love using the Crock Pot and have done so a lot since Greta was born. I have to add that I don't think this recipe belongs in the "soup" category at all, it's maybe more the consistency of a chili I think. But you be the judge!


Chicken Tortilla Crock Pot Soup

Boneless skinless chicken breasts (I use two, can be frozen)
One can black beans (drained and rinsed)
One can Rotel tomatoes
Two cans Ranch Style Beans
One can Corn (drained)
One cup Salsa
Taco seasonings (half a packet, I use the low sodium version)

That's it. Open all the cans and pour them into your crock pot along with the taco seasonings, stir. Place the chicken breasts on top. You can even use frozen chicken breasts (have I said how super easy this recipe is?). Cook over low heat for 8 hours or high heat for 4 hours. Half and hour before you eat take the chicken breasts out and shred them. I do this by taking two forks, piercing the chicken with one and using the other to shred. Place the shredded chicken back in the crock pot and stir it up. Serve it up over tortilla chips and topped with shredded cheese. Super delicious!
*hint: if you like a creamier soup, just stir in a scoop of cream cheese or sour cream into the crock pot a few minutes before it's served. Yum!


2 comments:

Hoofprints said...

Glad you joined my Funday Sunday idea. I keep wanting to get this recipe from you and now I don't have to call you for it. :-)

Stacy said...

Very cool - I may play along. Seems like all my efforts are wasted though. Nate hate beans and vegetables. Claire hates almost everything. The only things the whole family can eat are grilled salmon or chicken and strawberries - oh, and garlic bread. There, I've done my recipe sharing. End of blog.