Sunday, January 17, 2010

Funday Sunday

This week I'd like to share an all time favorite dish in our family. By "our family" I mean my parents and grandparents. Homemade macaroni and cheese is like the mother ship of all comfort food and my family likes to make this any chance they can. My mother has perfected the dish over the years and I'm still trying to make it as well as she does. I'm posting the version that I use that Wesley loves. I call it Mandy's Macaroni and Cheese: Toddler Style.



Mandy's Macaroni and Cheese: Toddler Style

-2 C. uncooked pasta
-3 T. Butter
-3 T. Flour
-1.5 C. Milk
-1.5 C. Shredded Cheese

First off, cook the pasta according to directions on the package. You can use the traditional elbow macaroni but my favorite is a pasta called fusilli, it's just a basic corkscrew style pasta. It's perfect for little toddler fingers and there is more surface area to be covered in sauce.

While the pasta is cooking make the sauce. In a small sauce pan melt the butter over low/medium low heat. Add the flour and stir it up, let it bubble and cook a little. Slowly whisk in the milk a half a cup at a time until it thickens up, this may take a few minutes. Then add the shredded cheese and stir it up until it's melted and smooth. Pour it over the cooked, drained pasta and stir. To make the perfect portions for Wesley, I grease up a muffin tin and divide up the mac and cheese into it. Cover it and place it in the freezer. Once frozen pop out each chunk and place in a freezer bag. Then just defrost a portion for lunch or an easy dinner for a toddler. They've come in handy and the kid gobbles it up. Happy eating!

3 comments:

Hoofprints said...

okay. I'm drooling. Completely unable to utilize it to it's true purpose...but still drooling. It looks like Boston Market MacNCheese

Stacy said...

I liked your other version, too, with lots of crunchies on top. Yummy! Great idea I will file away for future Berkley food. We should chat someday about feeding the baby - we're at the stage now where she insists on feeding herself but 80% lands on the high-chair, floor, her shoulder or my pants.

The Menagerie Momma said...

Wow Stacy, she's already feeding herself? That's impressive for an eight month old. Go Berkley! I'd love to chat with ya.