Saturday, March 1, 2014

Challenge

Hello March! I love March. It's a "lead in" month. A month where little shoots of green grass poke through the winter crust of soil. A month that leads in to Spring. It might be nasty out there but there is hope I tell you. Hope. Right now there is freezing rain falling, coating every surface in a slick glaze of ice. We have snow in the immediate forecast and several bitterly cold nights ahead. But since it's officially March there is hope.

I decided I need a new challenge for March. I thought about doing a 10,000 step a day challenge with the Fitbit, where I have to get 10K steps a day every day of the month but I thought I'd hold off on that challenge until next month. This month I'm going sugar free. No refined sugars, no artificial sugars, nada. Now I'm not going all crazy or anything, if there is a little added sugar in a product I'm letting it slide....6 grams and under is my rule for the month. So added sugar in marinara sauce, that's ok. Fruit is ok. I thought it would be a good way to get back on track for the spring and summer months. Now this doesn't mean I'm dooming the kids to a sugar free March. It just means I keep food stocked in the house that I won't have a problem saying no to. For instance, ice cream. It's easy to say no to ice cream and that's something the kids and hubby love. And to test my resolve, today I made the kids some cupcakes. So far so good. I got this.

For an activity challenge I had the hubby show me the next routine on the BowFlex. I've been doing the first routine outlined in the manual for about a year and a half now. It was time to switch it up, work some new muscles. So four times a week I am doing the new workout and it's a nice change. I'm starting out with some really light weights and working up to the heavy ones. It's amazing how quickly results can be seen with resistance training. I'm a believer.

I will report back with how my two challenges went this month.

Are you going to challenge yourself for the month of March? 

4 comments:

Hoofprints said...

Well...guess Dessert is out if we ever get to go have lunch. I started my own challenge. I decided to start jogging in place while Evie watches Elmo. I reinjured my broken foot on the first day. Grrrr. Challenge: Fail.

Granny Randi said...

No challenge for me...life is challenge enough for me!
You are inspiring though!
Next month I will challenge myself!

The Menagerie Momma said...

Good try Jessica! Maybe do something with weights and just your arms?

Randi, life will be less challenging when Rich goes home. :)

Hoofprints said...

I am doing weights with my arms, situps, pushups (on my knees cuz of my foot) and squats. Best I can do for now. I need to get a new bike perhaps.