Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Fur and Feathers

Usually my favorite season is Fall. I love the changing leaves and the crisp cool evenings. But I'm changing it all up this year. SPRING is my favorite season from this point on. The bulb flowers pushing their way through the dirt, the fat buds on the trees waiting for that perfect moment to erupt, the robins returning and my kids running around screaming (outside for a change). It's so nice to be on the fast rack to spring as this has been the longest winter in the history of all winters. Ever.

It's like the animals know too. The horses are already shedding their fuzzy winter coats. I let them out to run in the back yard this past weekend. They ran like crazy, kicking up their heels. It brought a smile to my face.

I'm happy to say I've kept Dym alive for another winter. The twice daily rations of soaked beet pulp, rations of high protein feed and oodles of alfalfa seemed to do the trick. She's sleek and shiny. Not fat but not too thin either. I wish she was a fat as her offspring but Nubians never seem to get as rolly polly as Boers. This is the year I'm fencing in the walnut grove for the goats (I think I said that last year but the deck took precedence). I can't wait to see her out there grazing under the shade of the walnut trees with her offspring.  I'll think they are all excited to get out of the corral.



On a sad note, last week I lost my oldest animal. Simon, the cockatiel, passed away from what I can only guess is old age. I got her back in 1997 while I was still in high school. She's been with me through most of my big life changes....college, wedding, all the moves and babies. When I got her I so desperately wanted a male bird because they can be taught to sing and talk. Hence the name Simon. He turned into a she. Therefore I got another cockatiel in the college dorms.....Luigi. Who turned out to be another female. My third attempt at getting a male was after college in our first house not far from here. I succeeded in getting a male that time and named him Waldo. He and Luigi paired up and hatched a lone egg, another girl named Ingot. Two more males were added over the years, Duncan and Eddy, both of whom wooed Simon. They all live in a giant 4 foot by 6 foot parrot cage upstairs. The boy tiels are all upstairs singing as I write this....it's never quiet in my house (I like it that way). We've lost Luigi last year and now Simon....down to four. She was 17 years old.


No comments: