Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Darn Pests

Whenever I complain about the dogs, whenever I get mad at them for barking at nothing or jumping up on the counters, whenever I curse at them for running through the garden or waking me up in the middle of the night to go outside.....I need to stop and remember what they did this weekend. They killed a really big. freaking. snake. I went into their pen to turn on the water and almost stepped on the chunks of body of this dead snake. There were pieces everywhere, they had way too much fun dismembering this poor snake. I'm glad it's gone, I'm not a snake fan.





Then I went out to the garden this evening and spent an hour scraping insect eggs off the underneath my zucchini leaves. I've been spraying all the squash plants weekly with insecticidal soap and they still managed to get in there and lay their eggs. I think I'm going to have to give up the idea of organic gardening if I want to actually harvest any zucchini squash this year. When I looked it up online it said that certain varieties of squash aren't often affected....including butternut squash. Sure enough my butternut squash don't have any eggs on them, either do the yellow squash. We'll see if manual removal of the eggs is enough. There was a whole lot of squishing going on this evening. Yum.

No comments: