Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Another use for duct tape

I have to admit I'm a bit obsessed with the garden this year. I really like gardening! It's my zen part of the day, when the kids aren't around and it's just me and the plants. I've also declared war against the squash beetle this year. I've researched all I can research online about the dreaded pest and have educated myself about the different organic methods of removal. The best method I've found is mechanical means. I go out there twice a day and bend over each plant and pluck off the adults (they are usually mating on the under side of the leaf) and then scrape off all the eggs I can find. This started about two weeks ago and I was finding about 30 adults a day. I'd put on my gardening gloves and just pick em off, take them over to a stump and smash them with my flip flop. But over the past few days I've found an even better method. Duct tape. Take a loop of it and with the sticky side out, put it around your first two fingers. This is an awesome way to get rid of those eggs. No more popping eggs between the fingernails. Yuck. Now I'm finding about 5-8 adults a day. Definitely winning this war. So far anyways. I also spray the zucchini squash, yellow squash, cantaloupe, watermelon and butternut squash with insecticidal soap once a week. Whew, this is a lot of work for squash. Better be delicious!

Greta of the corn.

Greta likes the garden....she likes to stomp around smashing stuff that is. She's crouched between a row of zinnias and yellow squash (intermingled with radishes). 

1 comment:

Granny Randi said...

Great idea! Duct tape is a power tool!
Greta is adorable...love her hair.
Miss and love you.