Monday, January 24, 2011

My three year old informant.

I try to avoid it but occasionally I have to take the kids with me to the little grocery store a few miles away. It's just a Mom and Pops store where you pay high prices for the convenience of not driving all the way into town. I had Wesley in the cart with Greta in the seat of the cart. I'm rolling through the store trying to avoid "him". The older male store worker that always seems to find me and my children.  It's like he has radar for little kids and seeks them out to fill them with candy. It is really nice, he's a jovial older man but lately it's been a hassle. Around isle five (of a ten isle store) he sees us and immediately disappears into the back of the store. He returns with a handful of different colored Tootsie Pops (you know, the lollipops with the tootsie roll center). Wesley sees him coming and gets all excited. He lives for candy. The older gentleman strolls up and offers Wesley a lollipop. Wes picks a green one and proceeds to unwrap and become totally engrossed with his prize.  The gentleman then focuses his attention on Greta, offering her a lollipop. I tell him she's not old enough. He doesn't understand. He tells me "she'll just get a little messy Mom, no big deal". I tell him she's too young for candy, doesn't have enough teeth and so on. He still doesn't understand. Finally, Wesley looks up from his prize, leans over in front of the guy and says "It's a choking hazard".

I just about died laughing on the inside.

The guy finally got the clue. Then disappeared into the back of the store and returned with gummy bears. *sigh*
I had to explain to him again (this time without the help of Wesley) that they too are choking hazards. He looked defeated but once again went to the back of the store. I did my shopping at warp speed trying to get out of there before he returned with jelly beans. I got to the checkout stand before he found me the third time. This time he looked victorious while holding a string cheese. I had to give him credit, he really tried. It was sweet. Greta enjoyed the string cheese. I might forget to bring the kids with me next time I shop at that store.

3 comments:

Granny Randi said...

Wesley truly is his father's son! Sean used to come out with stuff like that! Out of the mouths of babes! Thanks for the great laugh.

Little Man's blog said...

Are you kidding? Now he knows what to give them. I'd take them all the time! You can use it as leverage the next time you have to take them somewhere. :)

Stacy said...

That is too cute! What a nice man. ;-)