Sunday, January 30, 2011

Funday Sunday: Crockpot Yogurt!

Yes you read that correctly. I just made yogurt in the crockpot. Isn't that awesome?! I really feel all Suzy Homemaker like right now. It's a good feeling. I ran across this idea on another blog and felt the need to try it myself. You see I've been have a mini battle with the yogurt producers of America. I stand in the yogurt isle for at least five minutes just searching. What do I search for? The perfect yogurt. I look for a yogurt that is low fat, low sugar, no artificial sweeteners and no artificial colors (and possibly organic). It doesn't exist. Really it doesn't. Trust me. So I'm making my own. You know what? It's super easy and I'm mad at myself for not doing this earlier. Especially after buying all those Yo Baby Organic yogurts for the kids when they were babies. Oh how much money I could have saved had I made my own whole milk organic yogurt.....in my crockpot. Oh well. On to the recipe!


Crockpot Yogurt

Use a 4 quart crockpot. Plug in your crockpot and place it on low. Add half a gallon of milk. Cover and cook on low for 2.5 hours.

Unplug the crockpot and leave covered for 3 hours.

After 3 hours, scoop out two cups of milk and place in a bowl. Add half a cup of plain yogurt (purchased from the grocery store....this is your starter). Whisk the milk and yogurt and pour back into crockpot. Whisk it all together.

Put the lid back on, keep it unplugged and wrap the crockpot in a heavy towel or two for insulation. Let it sit overnight or for 8 hours.


After 8 hours you have yogurt! Just mix in frozen fruit, fresh fruit, jam, honey, whatever you want.

Notes: I used 2% Organic milk and it came out fairly thin. I like thicker yogurt so next time I'll use whole milk just to experiment with. Also you can add a packet of unflavored gelatin when you whisk in the yogurt starter to help thicken it up. Some people also experiment with fat free powdered milk to thicken. I'm going to try this next as well. Enjoy!

5 comments:

Hoofprints said...

how long does it last though once you make this mammoth batch of yogurt?

Little Man's blog said...

Have you ever tried Keifir? They sell it in the organic section of any grocery store and it's a bit like a smoothie but it's almost entirely lactose free and it has all sorts of enzymes/acidophilius in it. I drink 8 oz. every morning and it's the best thing I love!

Granny Randi said...

I strain mine through muslin for 1/2 hour to get rid of some of the liquid. I love homemade yogurt. Jessica, mine lasts almost 2 weeks in the fridge.

The Menagerie Momma said...

I didn't know you made this Randi? How cool! Where do you find muslin?

Granny Randi said...

At WalMart. I line my colander with muslin, put it in the sink, dump in the yogurt and let it drain for about 1/2 hour. It's more like Greek yogurt when it's drained.