Thursday, April 9, 2020

The Corona Chronicles entry #9

Day #25

Did you know there is a term for stress shopping? Me either. It's oniochalsia.

oniochalasia. Noun. (uncountable) 
The purchasing of objects as a form of mental relaxation.

For the past three weeks I've been stress shopping. Maybe I should call it comfort shopping. It's been relaxing and has taken my mind off of the current situation. No, I haven't been buying expensive things, nothing that's going to break the bank. I've been indulging in adding to my Funko Pop collection. 

I've been collectiong Harry Potter Funko Pops for about a year and a half now. My plan was to only collect my favorite ones but then decided I needed the whole collection. There are currently 108 of them (and they keep releasing more each year). Before this whole pandemic started I had about 50. 



The place to find these things is on eBay. The majority of them have been vaulted (meaning they don't make them anymore) so finding them used is the only way to buy them. I found many people were selling off their collections in the past few weeks, which only seems logical in our countries  current financial situation. And they have been going through very inexpensively.....like $5 each plus shipping.

So I've been stress buying quite a few of the remaining funko pops I didn't have. They have been slowly and steadily trickling in, one here two there. I pick them up and pile them in our entrance way so they have their own little quarantine time (and then wash my hands).

That one in the bag? It's from New York City..it's not being touched for days!

This picture was taken about a week ago. There are many many more piled up now. Is this an illness? I'm going with no. But it did get me through the first two weeks of this craziness. It kept me from watching the news (and the train wreck WH briefings) and helped me to look forward to something when there wasn't a lot to look forward to. I'm done buying for now. I feel like things are starting to settle down, schedules are being put into place and there seems to be a light at the end of this very long tunnel (even though this week is one of the deadliest in our country from this virus).  

No comments: