Monday, August 10, 2009

Mother of the Year

I definitely deserve the Mother of the Year award today. After Wesley's nap we decided to walk up and get the mail. We have a rather long drive way and Wesley enjoys the walk as does Chance, our little terrier, so he came with us on a leash. We get to the top of the driveway and get the mail along with a package that was in the mailbox. About this time I see a german shepherd trotting down the road coming towards us. It sees us and I knew it would get to us soon. Now mind you this wasn't some big, scary looking german shepherd but rather a large gangly dog....kind of like a big puppy. I immediately picked up Chance because he's a terrier and thinks he's 150 pounds of pure intimidation. He'll go after any dog no matter the size. So I have Chance in one arm and the mail/package in the other. A normal Mother would have probably picked up her two year old and high tailed it for the house but no, not me. My first instinct is to save the dog. Of course this big puppy comes barreling up to us, so excited to see new people. Chance is going freakin nuts in my arms. Then the big puppy/german shepherd sees Wesley and runs over and licks him and knocks him over into the gravel. So now I have Wesley screaming on the ground, Chance trying to rip apart the strange dog from my right arm and oddly I still have the mail/package in my other arm. Finally some shred of Motherly instinct kicks in and I throw the mail down, grab Wesley (minus a shoe), shift Chance into a football hold and waddle my way back down the driveway. Luckily when it was all said and done, no one was hurt and poor Wesley doesn't seem any worse for wear. I suppose growing up with all these dogs in the house the poor kid is used to being bowled over from time to time. I just find it strange that my first instinct was to save the dog and not protect my child. What's wrong with me?

2 comments:

Hoofprints said...

i think your motherly instinct was working just fine. You sensed no danger for Wesley so didn't feel compelled to remove him from the situation. if it was angry rabid dog, you would have grabbed Wesley and ran for the hills full speed in all your pregnant glory. no worries...you're a fantabulous mama. :-)

Stacy said...

I agree with the Little Monkeys. No harm was imminent to Wesley. You did good!