Friday, December 7, 2007

Frozen Fish

In our front yard is a decent sized koi pond. Every year I go buy 6-9 fairly good sized goldfish at the local pond supply store. We dump them in the pond in May and by September they have had several batches of babies and the pond is stuffed with goldfish. The first season winter approached and I got my big fish net and fished out a large majority of them and set up a stock tank in an unused bathroom and over wintered them in our house. That was a lot of work for $3 goldfish. So ever since that first winter I've just let nature takes its course and restocked come spring. Well last week I was out looking at the half frozen pond and saw a few sad looking fish swimming sideways. They actually looked dead but upon closer inspection their gills were moving so I ran in the garage got my net and a rubbermaid container and went out and fished out all the frozen fish I could find. I brought them in the house and let them warm up and sure enough they perked right up. I dumped them in the unused downstairs 30 gallon aquarium. Wesley thinks the aquarium is just the most fascinating thing he's ever seen. He'll sit there mouth open, saliva coming out in a string just staring at the fish. I posted a video clip below.

No comments: