Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Dog Gone Day

What a day yesterday was. It was one of those days were you crawl into bed at night and are so thankful it's over. We had a pretty nasty storm come through last week with high winds and hail. That night we got water dripping on our bed. Now combine that with the water dripping on the spare bedroom bed and some mysterious leak near the dining room that has some sheet rock rippling, we decided it was time to look into getting a new roof. This roof was 5 years old when we moved in nine years ago. I have no idea how long roofs last, perhaps 14 years? So I called our insurance company and submitted a claim. Yesterday they sent out an adjuster to look at the roof and determine how much it would cost to replace it.

I had to take Chance to the vet because he started randomly yelping. He was in pain. The vet gave him a thorough work up and determined him to have a pinched nerve in his back. Probably from jumping off the couch. He sent me home with some anti-inflammatory meds and strict orders to keep him on "bedrest". Which means no jumping on or off the couch, no stairs and so forth. Yeah right! I'm trying to keep him from over doing it but he's back to his old self on the anti-inflammatory medicine.

Anyways, while I was at the vet clinic, Sean was home to talk to the insurance adjuster who informed us that the leaks were just "maintenance issues" and did not warrant a new roof. Apparently the shingles are in good shape, we just have to seal up some cracked seals around the pipes and satellite dishes. Bummer. I was kind of excited about a new roof. The adjuster came around 10 in the morning.

Around 5 last night I noticed the gate to the dog pen was wide open. No dogs anywhere.

Let's just say I said some choice swear words and mentally (and audibly) cursed the insurance adjuster whom I think left the gate open. Sean thinks the dogs opened it. Who knows. Cody (the black lab) and Sophie (the retarded irish setter) had a seven hour head start and I had no idea where they could be. I jumped in my car and started canvasing the area. I was worried about the half an hour of daylight I had left and the pretty busy paved road two miles away from our house. I was just picturing them getting hit on that road at night. I drove around for about 20 minutes and circled back around in front of the house. There I saw a flash of black and found them out in the walnut grove in front of the house. I was so excited! I've never seen wetter, more happy dogs than those two. I have no idea what they did for seven hours but I know they were so sore last night, they hobbled around. They dried off inside lounging on the couches while pulling burs from their fur.

It was one crazy dog day.

No comments: