Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Pesto kind of day

My deck building boys have put down their screw drivers and returned to their desk jobs so it's just Greta and I again. I thought "what better thing to do today than to make something yummy". We were outside this morning watering the garden and I decided on a tasty batch of pesto. So first things first, in early spring plant more basil seeds than you'll ever use in your entire lifetime. Plant that basil in your garden and strawberry bed and then watch it grow into three feet tall bushes. Then gather a bowl and your three year old helper and go pluck several cups of basil leaves. Make sure said three year old knows the difference between (toxic) morning glory leaves and basil leaves.


Next thing to do: shell 1/3 cup of pistachios. I like using this recipe for pesto because it uses pistachios instead of the traditional pine nuts. I usually always have pistachios in the cupboard. Place pistachios,  1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese and two cloves of garlic in food processor. I bought this el cheapo food processor for $10 at Wall World, works great. Pulse it until everything is pulverized.


Place 2-3 cups of packed basil leaves on top of crumbles, and give it all a squeeze of lemon juice. I think the lemon juice keeps the basil from turning brown. Put the lid on the food processor and turn it on low while slowly drizzling olive oil through the lid (usually there is a little hole in the top for liquids). It will blend up into this lovely pesto. Salt and pepper it to your own preference (if you used salted pistachios you won't need much if any salt). It's so good scooped onto carrot sticks, Wheat Thins, cucumbers, anything! I found a recipe for Chicken Panini's that uses pesto and is so delicious. Enjoy!


Pesto with Pistachios 

2-3 c. Basil leaves
2 Garlic cloves
1/4 c. Parmesan cheese
1/3 c. Pistachios 
1/2 c. Olive oil
Salt and Pepper

1 comment:

Granny Randi said...

I can taste it...yum, yum! Hope you had a bite for me!