Monday, July 22, 2013

Tests

Last Thursday morning, bright and early, I took Wesley in for his EEG. It took about an hour to get there and I had to leave at 7 in the morning. I suppose it's because I've never driven into town at that early of an hour, but there is apparently a rush hour! Holy cow were there a lot of cars on the road. I'm just happy I don't have to travel at that hour of the day hardly ever.

I got to the hospital and checked him in and then they led us to his room. This was initially intended to be a sedated EEG but after talking to him and seeing how calm of a child he is they decided he wouldn't need to be sedated (yeah!). The nurse brought in a picture booklet that showed Wesley what an EEG looked like. It was sorta funny because the booklet was full of all these sedated children with piles of wires attached to their heads, not a single awake child in the whole booklet. The nurse made the comment that they needed to make a book with non-sedated children and then she asked if she could photograph Wesley throughout the EEG and make a new book. I said sure and so she took a ton a pictures with a smiling Wesley. I think it will be a lot more inviting for these uneasy children coming in for this procedure in the future.

Wesley got to play with some really fun toys called "Magna Tiles" while we waited for the EEG tech to come in. Then he got to pick out a movie to watch during the procedure. I told him he'd have to sit really still during the EEG or they'd have to put in another IV to sedate him. He looked at me with wide eyes and said he'd sit really really still. Which he did. He did a wonderful job and did everything they asked. We were there for about four hours and then headed home.




They called this afternoon to let me know the EEG came back normal. They said they will run a full neurological exam if he has another seizure. Here's hoping they never have to do that.

1 comment:

Granny Randi said...

My fingers are crossed! Love you all.