Tuesday, May 14, 2013


I hope everyone had a nice Mother's Day weekend. We, as usual, got quite a bit done. My parents took Wesley and myself out to a lovely Mother's Day brunch. It was nice spending the morning with my Mom and celebrating her being a super awesome Mom.

 The deck has officially been started. Yeah!  Sean got out there with posts and string and strung out the deck and then marked all the future footing spots. Then with the gas auger he dug 20 holes. I took the truck to Lowes and bought 20 cardboard tubes to insert in said holes and then fill with concrete for the footings for the deck. I can't express how excited I am to have a deck.

Since I was out in the truck I also stopped and picked up some straw bales for the garden. This year I'm trying out a different mulching method. First layer will be straw, then manure and hay. I'm hopeful the hay seeds won't sprout a crop of weeds this year if they can't reach the dirt. We'll see. I spent several hours planting the many many tomato, pepper and basil seedlings. I've gotten 20 tomato's planted and am tempted to call it a day. There are probably another 10-15 but I'm afraid I'm running out of garden room. Next year I'll have to be more selective and keep only the strong seedlings. Needless to say I should be rolling in tomato's this year (knock on wood).

Greta had a bit of a scare last week. She's had a spot on her eye for a few months, it's on her left eye and on the white part right next to her pupil. It kind of looks like a collection of blood vessels. I've kept an eye on it and thought if there was ever any change I'd take her in to the doctor otherwise I'd just wait until her yearly visit. Well she started saying that eye hurt the weekend before last so I set up an appointment with the pediatrician. He took a long look at it with a scope and said he'd feel better if we went to a pediatric ophthalmologist. He said it could be nothing but it could be uveitis or a form of arthritis. Let's just say I was a bit worried all last week.

So yesterday we went on a long drive to go see the specialist. They were running behind so we got to wait in the waiting room for 45 minutes. Greta asked me every 38 seconds if it was time for us to leave. Once we got in the room they preformed several normal eye tests to ensure she could see properly. Then they dilated her eyes. Before we even left that morning I sat her down and told her that if she was a good girl and did everything they asked then I would take her to Target on the way home and she could get a toy. So when that nurse started coming at her with eye spray to dilate her eyes, I quickly reminded her about our agreement and she calmed right down and let the nurse spray her eyes. She did so good and I'm proud of her. They looked in her eyes and felt around and turns out it's nothing to be worried about. The doctor said it's a benign mass probably due to allergies or trauma. She on some anti-inflammatory and steroid eye drops and we get to go back to the doc in two weeks. I'm just so happy it's nothing. Greta's happy she got a Barbie.

That's about all that's happening around here. Have a great week everyone!


Barb said...

Glad Greta is okay!

The Menagerie Momma said...

Thanks Barb. :)

Granny Randi said...

Very good news. Please give her an extra big hug and kiss from granny!