Monday, April 4, 2011

Spring Happenings

Busy busy busy! That's spring in our household. The garden is being planned out since I have a ton of new plants to squeeze in. I got my seeds from Burpee and have started several indoors. I've got trays of bell peppers, hot peppers, chives, cilantro, lettuce and lavender. Every day Wesley goes over there with his spray bottle and thoroughly drenches everything in sight. We're having fun with it.



Hubby was out again this weekend working on the new goat pasture. He made some good progress but without both of us working it's slow going. I'm the babysitter. Greta is not at the age where she can wander around unsupervised. She's still into placing everything in her mouth. Hubby did get 40 something T-posts put in and all the 4X4 corner posts set in concrete. Everything is ready for the field fencing to be put up this coming weekend.


The future inhabitants of the pasture are more than ready to trade in their current pen for the new one. They have been forced to stay in their pen instead of the backyard ever since they discovered the tasty deliciousness that is baby cherry trees. Oh boy do they make their displeasure heard. I never had any idea that baby goats could be THAT loud. We're talking brain numbing screams. I imagine it would be the same noise if they were being eaten alive. I hope, for our neighbors sake, that their voices change soon. Our two full grown goats aren't loud at all, maybe around dinner time they'll call out but it's a low octave, not this high pitched cry. This new pen will all be worth it if they will just be quiet and eat grass.


I'm still milking Dym every morning and I just want to quit. But I can't. I have no idea how to dry her up and I've been trying different things to no avail. I believe she's weaned the kids as I haven't seen her nurse them in about a week. I've got to try harder to dry her up....so tired of milking.

The other set of kids (my children) are enjoying the spring warm weather. We spend hours outside discovering new and exciting things. Greta discovered walnuts this weekend and proceeded to go into the walnut grove and fill her little plastic golf club container with the nuts. She's just like her brother, always collecting stuff. Hope you are out enjoying this weather as much as we are!

2 comments:

Stacy said...

I think we're on day 208 of rain. I envy you the sun! Glad your gardening is going so well. I've decided to plant a bunch of lettuce and beans in the garden here - do you think that will help the house to sell faster if it appears to be a lush, verdant little garden?

Hoofprints said...

Tough love on Dym dude. she may seem miserable for a bit, but so were we when we dried up. remember? I'd just start skipping. At the very least, skip the morning and make her wait until evening. Then go from there. Sorry man...milking's a pain sometimes.