Thursday, February 10, 2011

So done.

I am done with winter. I am through with the sub zero temperatures. I am through with hauling buckets of water outside to the animals. I am SO through with the 15 minute ordeal of dressing two young, squirmy kids in hats, gloves, sweaters, coats and snow boots. I'm just done. This morning I crawled out of my warm bed and curled up on the couch to watch the weather man announce that we hit an all time low last night. It hit -16 degrees. I was hoping to hear that our school district canceled classes since that would mean Wesley wouldn't have preschool. Unfortunately most school districts around here have hit their quota of snow days so they are being quite stingy with their cancellations. So, alas, school was happening today. 

The other unfortunate issue I've been experiencing this winter (and most winters) is snow packed hooves on the horses. When I go out to feed them in the morning they hobble up with this 6-8 inch cone of packed snow and ice under their front hooves. I go out there while they are eating and chip it off with a screw driver. I have to hack it off like the screw driver is an ice pick. After a little bit of research I found that spray cooking oil and Vaseline and both great at keeping that from happening again. So this afternoon I went out and smear the bottom of Desi's hooves with Vaseline. We'll see if tomorrow morning he's packed or not. Poor things.

I'm really hoping this is the last snow storm of the winter. It's doubtful but I'm really wishing. Hope you all are staying warm wherever you are.

4 comments:

Granny Randi said...

It will get warm...It will get warm...It will get warm!

Sasha Victoria said...

My cousin is a farrier. he said to contact your farrier and have the bottom of the hooves covered with leather, shoed and a silicone base to fill in under the leather. they do this for foundered horses but it also works for snow! Think of it as gel insoles for your horse. no more screwdriver and much better for the horses.

The Menagerie Momma said...

That's an interesting idea Becca. I'll have to talk to my farrier when he comes out the end of the month. That might work for next winter, I'm hoping we are done with snow for this winter. Here's hoping!

Inigo Montoya said...

Here we are in mid-August. I bet you're missing all those colder days now!